how to build(construct) a side-scan-sonar with towfish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to build(construct) a side-scan-sonar with towfish

Hello everybody, I need help !!! I am a Pupil, and i am interessted in building a side-scan-sonar. I need it for finding wrecks in the baltic sea... i need plans and lists of material that i do need, and how to construct it. can somebody help me?

Thanks Patrick

Re: how to build(construct) a side-scan-sonar with towfish

Hello Patrick,

First, read my post, on this forum of 2/16/03, on Build vs Buy a Side Scan Sonar unit.

To put together a good side scan sonar that you can depend on to find shipwrecks is a very long and difficult project that requires experience in electronics, mechanical, and transducer design. I built my own side scan this way and it took me almost 2 years of working on the design just about every night.
    You might want to consider trying to locate an older side scan unit, (or the parts of) that now has become somewhat obsolete for undersea surveys conducted by geophysical companies, being replaced by more updated equipment. This equipment occasionally shows up on EBAY, government auctions and surplus houses. You could also make some direct inquiries to various geophysical survey companies to see if they have equipment that they would want to dispose of at bargin prices. Integrating the various side scan sonar pieces into a working system will still take a lot of work, but it will get you out searching faster.
    Regards,
    Jim

Comment

Re: Buying a side-scan-sonar with towfish

I'm looking for a side scan sonar ,not too epensive but efficient

Could you advise me
      Gerard

Comment

Working...
      X