Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSS to PC interface

Hello all,

I'm getting back into a project for building a SSS for shipwreck hunting here in SE NC, now that I almost have my boat back from the shop. I'm a PC systems admin and programmer by trade, so I was thinking about hooking up a SSS to a laptop. My question though is what kind of data is coming out of the transducer cable? Is it digital? Or sound? I need to know what I'm working with in order to code a program to interpret the data and give a graphic representation. Thanks in advance.

-christen

Re: SSS to PC interface

are you going to use the home built using fish finder type transducers ?
    The unit sends out an electronic signal that bounces off objects and returns to your depth finder’s transducer. Because sound travels at a uniform speed, the depth finder can measure the distance to an object based on the amount of time it takes for the signal to return.

Comment

Charles,

I'm doing the home-built thing. I'm going to build one similar to yours and Dan's. I'm wondering if there is any way to make an interface with the fishfinder, or maybe to 'jack-in' with the line between the transducers and the fishfinder. I'm guessing I'll need a dsp as well once I'm able to get a signal. I can then route this through my serial port and write a VB program to interpret the data.

Comment

keep me posted. I use a laptop on my boat with a GPS program. Am going to try and run my magnetometer with it. What area are you in. My Dan is finished just got a new X16 to use with it.

Comment

Hi Charles,

I'm in Wilmington, right up the road from you. I hope to have my dive boat in the water in the next few weeks. I was bitten by the SS bug some time ago, but never went anywhere with it since I was boatless . Anyhow, I hope to have a unit built before winter. I have a Lowrance Mach 1 paper recorder, but I'm thinking of going with an LCD like yours. What kind of images do you get with the LCD? Are they comparable with the one's that Dan posts on his SS page?

Comment

I used an Eagle LCD it worked OK but not as good as paper machine. Hey we get to dive and search on up to early Dec. some years and back at it by end of March.

Comment

Any Lowrance or Eagle 192 mhz should work.

Comment

Christen,
                I am an electronic/ocean engineer with about 10 years of past work experience at EG&G and ORE. I'm familiar with both types and have conducted many marine surveys with their SSS and other hydrgraphic equipment.I became interested in building my own SSS after reading Shadow Divers. I hope to build a system in the next few months using a generic PC-based A/D board controlled by a Labview program. How is your project coming along?

Robert

Comment

Working...
                X