If You Had It To Do Over Again???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If You Had It To Do Over Again???

For those who have built their sidescans, if you had it to do over again, what would you do different? What is the best Paper Recorder for the best Resolution? What would be the best way to go transducer wise? Has your success in building been worth the time?

Thanks,
    Robert

Re: If You Had It To Do Over Again???

What would be the best setup for shallow water (20-45ft)?

Comment

What are you searching for? Wrecks?
      What size boat are you going to use to tow the sys?
      Do you want 12 volts to do everything or do you have ac power also?
      How much do you want to spend for a sys?
      Their are some pretty inexpensive sys out there but resoultion and range may eliminate several for you. 100khz seems to be the best trade off unless you go dual freq but it depends a lot on your target size and bottom conditions.

I have several sys but need to know more on what your overall plan is.

Comment

I am looking for wrecks in 20-45ft of water. I have a magnetometer and want side scan to help investigate each point of interest. 12 volts would be great. I dont want to spend more than $300-400. I live on the east coast with very sandy and smooth bottom. I was thinking of using 2 Lowrance X-16 for left and right and putting 5 200khz puck transducers in array on each side. I want something simple and inexspensive. What are your opinions!

Thanks,
        Robert

Comment

I built my side scan sonar over 30 years ago and put a tremendous amount of time for two years into getting it to operate properly. I was fortunate to have been able to buy a used towfish unit from new side scan sonar manufacturer. If I had not, I estimate that it would have taken me a few more years to come up with a working towfish design. I also located a surplus 2 channel weather fax recording mechanism. However, that towfish was defective and it took me some time to figure that out. Fortunately, the manufacture did take it back and replaced it with a good working unit. At the time when I built my side scan sonar unit there were only a few hundred units in the world. I had no one that I could consult with to determine if my design was working properly and there were no books on side scan interpretation. Much of what I learned on side scan design and of the detection of objects was by trail and error. I made many equipment design modification over the years. When finding an interesting object on the bottom, it would require a dive to check it out, and then make note of what the record looked like for that object for future reference. Even today, I am still learning to better interpret side scan records.

There are cheap side scan sonar units out there for under $5000 but they also have a lot of limitations. The “Dan” side scan utilizing a fishfinder and multiple fishfinder transducers will give one a taste of side scan sonar operation. But I do not recommend it as being very useful for conducting searches when you don’t know where the ship or object is that you are looking for. You should expect to pay $20,000 or more for a reasonable good side scan sonar system. These units will provide better assurance that the surveyed area has been covered effectively. How good you are in reading the resulting sonar images will be directly related with your SSS operating and interpretation experience.

For more on Build vs Buy a Side Scan Sonar Unit go to: http://www.shipwreckworld.com/discussionforums/sonarboard/256.aspx

The results of my system can be viewed at: www.shipwreckworld.com

Build vs Buy a Side Scan Sonar

Comment

If the wrecks are old and you are in that shallow an area a sonar may not help you.
            More then likly, the wrecks are deeply burried and side scan will only see what is above the sea floor.
            A sub bottom will see a big target that is burried but you will have to dig it up to see what it is,. Iit may be a refrigeratod or an old vw bug or a good wreck. Mags usually find shallow wrecks but you need to uncover them to prove your target is worthy of the time.
            email me some info on the wrecks and your telephone number and I will see if I can help you more.
            Rik
            [email protected]

Comment

Working...
            X