Putting sss on a wireless ROV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting sss on a wireless ROV

Ok, this may not really be related to Side Scan Sonar, since the vehicle will be moving frequently, but what exactly do I need in order to put some forward or downlooking sonar on a wireless ROV.

I have an A/V transmitter onboard, the audio channel is currently unused. I was hoping to convert the data returned from the transducer or interface for the transducer into a signal that I could transmit over this unused channel(frequency is 1.2Ghz, we are communicating with ROV via underwater antenna array).

I know I need a transducer, but which type is unknown to me. I have alot of experience with electronics (I did manage to build my own ROV), but have no experience whatsoever with imaging sonar.(we've all built simple rangefinders, but that has no use here)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, or any push in the right direction.

I did read through these forums and Dan's site, but the information is very vague on equipment actually needed to get sonar up and running.

Thanks guys.

Re: Putting sss on a wireless ROV

I had a post on this unit a page or two back. Check this out.

http://www.smartcast-rf30.com/smarcast_rf40.htm

Comment

Re: Putting sss on a wireless ROV

Yeah, not enough transmitting power for a wireless system.

That little thing probably couldn't transmit through two feet of water, whereas the transmitter I have will penetrate much more.

Plus, its 115Khz, I am looking at 200Khz or higher, don't need depth since the ROV will be over the objects by less than 50ft. I can't use video in some water because even with bright light, the water is to murky to see through. That's why I need some imaging sonar.

Thanks for the link, though, but not quite what I was looking for.

Comment

Working...
      X